View Single Post
Old 10-16-23, 12:42 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 462 Posts
If It Walks Like A Duck, And Weighs Like A Duck...

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
If it's a Cinelli, and if that is the original fork, it is a Model B. I would have cheerfully taken a Model B in my size if I had found one before I lucked into my two SCs. A great score if it pans out.

Close-up photos of the seat lug would be helpful (Windsor Pros were very similar, but not identical). Checking the serial number on the bottom of the BB shell might also help - not so much to establish age (a fool's errand with Cinelli numbers before 1980 or so) but to see if the format is correct. The clincher for me would be the seat post diameter. 26.2mm = Cinelli. Anything else = not Cinelli. 27.2mm = Windsor.

The Cinelli SC, Cinelli Model B and the Windsor Profesional are all good bikes, but a Windsor Pro is not a Cinelli. If you are looking for a good frame and the price is right, any of the three will do just fine. But if you are jonesing for a Cinelli, a Windsor Pro just won't do.

26.8, the correct seat pillar size for the (early) Acer-Mex Windsor and Carabela Profesionals is 26.8.

Because no shim/insert-reinforcement in the top of the seat tube. Using a longer seat post stiffens the seat stay/seat tube/top tube juncture similarly.

The ride quality of early Acer Mex Pros is indistinguishable from cotemporaneous Cinelli Mod Bs, (or SCs for that matter). no surprise as they were built by a guy who built them for 25 years. After they became popular, mid-70s or so, the quality declined and discrepancies presented.

Cinellis changed too, so a mid-80s example sure does not ride the same as one from the mid-60s.