View Single Post
Old 10-18-23, 09:29 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts
New frame! Niner RTL frameset, Tiagra 2x10 with hydraulic brakes groupset, DT Swiss E1800 wheels, Panaracer 38mm tires, CF drop bars, CF seat post, RX seat. I had buit a bike earlier in the year with a less expensive Bikes Direct X3 gravel frame so, I just transferred everything over. On my first gravel ride I noticed that everything was a bit stiffer, I really felt it in the fork. Decreasing my front tire pressure to about 45psi helped a lot but I may go with 43mm or 44mm tires soon. The difference between the steel fork of the X3 frame and the Niner fork is pretty big. I’m new to this game and I didn’t expect it to be that much. Other than that, the bike handles very well and it is quick. I think when I go to a slightly bigger tire, the harshness won’t be as noticeable. I’m sure the fork weighing half of what the steel for weighed also plays a big part. The build went fairly well, the only problem I had was when I ran new brake lines, the back brake took many tries to get it to bleed properly. I ended up filling the cup with mineral oil at the shifter and pulling the oil with the syringe from the bleed port on the caliper. Only then did I see ginormous bubbles come through. All good. I also road tested the bike on a 72 mile weekend run for the MS bike ride, lots of fun and it was a breeze.

Likes For Breadfan: