View Single Post
Old 10-18-23, 04:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3517 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I am planning a trip for next spring. After researching this post and some YouTube videos I can see that using a wall outlet somewhere can be problematic. I have a Schmidt Son hub and my current light setup allows charging or lights. This appears to be good enough for the charging of a passthrough battery for the phone with frugal phone use. I have looked into Solar panels for charging and saw a video by Nomads Trails . They purchased a semi flexible solar panel that is not over marketed garbage. You see these kind of panels on the surfaces of boats. The solar cells themselves are actually made in the USA. The panels are assembled in europe. I am going to try one of these panels out. Items to charge will be my phone, camera batteries and a set of daylight visibility lights. In addition a book reader and camp headlight. If i have a problem I can charge the passthrough battery somewhere, but prefer to avoid doing this like the plague.
After your trip, let us know how that worked out, info on the panel, how much stuff you charged, etc.