View Single Post
Old 10-20-23, 06:20 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is so true. But as a fellow provider of specialized services, I have come to realize that many customers (and potential customers) are not so good at:

(1) Articulating the service that they are seeking or need, and too impatient to have an intelligent discussion with the service provider to get there; and/or
(2) Valuing service and/or comparing service provided by different service providers, and therefore undervalue the service regardless of the provider.

And it is not just about pay. Many doctors complain that their colleagues get chosen for their bedside manners rather than technical skills. And I am sure we all know cyclists with $5K bikes who would balk at a $100 service because "it did not take so long." So, most bike mechanics have my empathy. Luckily, the ones at my LBS are good, and it is a Trek store!
Specialized services are a challenge for the new customer who knows little. It can be intimidating to break into cycling, white-water paddling, back packing, learning to play a musical instrument. What is needed is someone who understands the value of "hand holding" and also has developed the skills to hold a hand. You never know that a customer's initial purchase may result in many thousands of dollars spent at the business later. So, a free installation on a Wal-Mart bike may result in a lifetime of loyal support.

I have encountered both business who are not the least bit engaging and those who helped me get started. Those who nurtured the relationship got my business and I mean a lot of business. We still have the four 1980's Specialized Rock Hoppers from the same dealer.

A mechanic or doctor may think their value is what they know. The true value is being able to listen, address the concerns, asking the right questions, and fulling the need of the end user.
Likes For Chuck Naill: