View Single Post
Old 10-23-23, 03:39 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 244 Posts
I periodically search the web for news about local bike paths. This weekend I found two bits of information about the Somerville Community Path.
The first relates to final construction of Somerville Junction Park, which is just east of where the Path extension begins at Lowell St: https://voice.somervillema.gov/somerville-junction

The second is an announcement that the Path detour at Somerville High School is now cleared: https://www.somervillema.gov/news/fi...pen-public-use

Curious to check out both of these developments, I decided to ride over to Charlestown via Cambridge and Somerville. I started out by heading east on the Minuteman to Alewife, then on to Somerville Community Path via Alewife Linear Park and Davis Square.

As the news article indicates, there's a detour at Junction Park:

Just past there, where the High School detour used to begin at School St, once can now continue on the path:

There's still a somewhat tricky road crossing at Medford St:

Reaching North Point Park, the North Bank Bridge brought me to Paul Revere Park, with a nice framing of the Zakim on the way:

At the Navy Yard, Old Ironsides waits patiently:

I believe this was once one of the Navy Yard's dry docks:

On the way back through Paul Revere Park, I walked the bike partway across the Gridley Locks foot path. I decided to leave going all the way to the Boston side for another day.
I grabbed many pictures of the Zakim from various spots. This one, I believe taken from North Point Park shows it most completely:

I retraced my ride back to Arlington, stopping briefly to take in the familiar view of Spy Pond:

As you can see, the sky was moody most of the time, but it was a fun little ride.
Only about 15 miles, but hit a lot of local landmarks.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom: