Old 10-26-23, 10:40 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The problems associated with flashing lights have to do with night time operation. Even emergency vehicle flashing lights don't cause these problems in daytime operation. Flashing lights on bicycles are illegal in many states, day or night. I don't care about the daylight part. I use flashing lights for daylight only. I prefer to be seen sooner rather than later. I still ride like I always have and watch for problems especially when approaching intersections loaded up with other road users. I yell hello and see motorists heads move so I know they are seeing me. I am going to purchase a yellow/amber light for the front. I have never been pulled over or approached by the police about my flashing light. My nighttime lights don't flash. With few exceptions my close calls and collisions involving automobiles have been during daylight. I have spent many hours riding to work in the past without incident. I have one of the brightest most expensive lights available and dinotte has recently made a new model even brighter.
Can you provide me with a list of states or name a few states where a flashing rear light on a bicycle is expressly prohibited by the law?

Agree that many states require a steady front headlight, which is actually good for the bike rider to properly see the bike path in the dark.