View Single Post
Old 10-26-23, 07:53 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Schwinn Greenville

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Here's another bike that I suspect has at least an Asian-produced frame: my 1987 Schwinn Cimarron.
These were said to have been made in Schwinn's Greeneville plant, but the SN doesn't line up with those shown in the long-running Cimarron thread, having only a single letter at the beginning. T-Mar's list suggests that a few different mfrs including Bridgestone produced bikes/frames for Schwinn, and this SN would line up with Bridgestone's system and a September 1986 build, very plausible.
I suspect the frames for these--at least at this date--were made in Asia then the bikes assembled in the US. They also have headbadge SNs, apparently recording the date the bike was finished, and the headbadge SN for this bike suggests it wasn't completed until mid 1987.

This serial number is for a frame made at Schwinn's Greenville, Mississippi facility. You have the date correct, the letter "I" is for the 9th month, September and the 6 is for 1986 year of manufacture.

It cannot be a Bridgestone serial number from 1986 because Bridgestone serial numbers do not use the letter "I" .
Likes For Hummer: