Old 10-28-23, 07:38 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
You said "rumble strips wont wake anyone up from sleeping" and are now backing that up with statistics showing that rumble strips used to target drowsy or distracted driving caused a reduction of over 1/3 of fatal and injury accidents. "Didn't stop every single accident" is different from "didn't make a significant difference". 🤷
Notice how they carefully used the word "DROWSY", not "sleeping". I presume (perhaps incorrectly) that the drowsy people had a good chance of recovering after hitting the rumble strips while the SLEEPING people flew off into outer space.

I play with my cell phone too late at night occasionally and tend to nod off while looking at the screen. Sometimes the phone slips from my hand and jars me back to life with the phone still in my hand. Other times I wake up hours later with the phone in my lap or on the floor. I'm guessing (again) that surviving a rumble strip encounter would be more likely in the first instance than the second.

I agree with you that for MOTORIST safety, rumble strips are significantly effective, and relatively inexpensive. While preventing some 30% of vehicles from leaving the travel lane the strips themselves can cause serious issues for cyclists including making some beautiful roadways impossible to cycle.

I stick by my claim that if CYCLISTS are happy with the strips on a particular roadway - GREAT! I love it. Otherwise, I am not a big fan of the strips AS A CYCLIST.