View Single Post
Old 10-28-23, 10:08 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Concord Kuwahara frames no date codes

This quote is from post No. 561 05-13-22, 04:08 PM #561 Farmboy413

Originally Posted by Farmboy413
Thanks so much for posting the guide to SNs, but the Concord decoder is confusing. I have one, with 81003 as an SN on the bottom of the downtube, drive side. It doesn't match up with Dodson or Kuwahara SN guide. Any suggestions from fellow vintage bike owners?
Hello Farmboy413,

welcome to the forum. I am sorry that no one responded to your post earlier.

This quote is from post No. 655. 04-25-23, 06:07 PM #655 3speedslow

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Concord bicycle

Got a confusing one. Date codes put it around 74-75. All Japanese components and made with Araya seamless tubing.

serial number does not jibe with the possible manufacturers.

Who made this frame?
Hello 3speedslow, I cannot see that anyone has responded to your post.

Both of the quoted Concord frames were manufactured by Kuwahara. They were manufactured before Kuwahara introduced year and month numbers with their serial numbers.

The current version of the Asian Serial Number Guide does not cover Kuwahara serial numbers without date codes.

In the 1960s Kuwahara was contracted to build frames for companies in the Canadian market and then the USA Market.

I have catalogued more than 45 Kuwahara serial numbers without date codes. There are simply 5 digits on the seat tube.

From this data I surmise that the serial numbers run in sequence, without regard for year or month, from 00001 to 99999 and then repeat.

Based on my data and the serial numbers being in the 80000s and that the frames were contracted for the Concord brand name, I estimate that the frames were manufactured in 1974.