View Single Post
Old 10-31-23, 03:44 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11076 Post(s)
Liked 7,651 Times in 4,265 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s your opinion. Many of us like to know what is coming up behind us.

You do know that mirrors work further away than “mere feet”

And I thought the EVT mirror was stupidly expensive. $150 to $400 depending on options!!!!!!!!???? That is ridiculous money!
cycco has entered the chat. Fun.

- yes saying it's of little use is obviously my opinion. And yet, I use a device that tells me how many vehicles are behind me and their relative speed. It's of little value, yet I participate in knowing. Human condition is odd.
The point of saying it's of little value was to simply highlight that if you ride predictably and visibly, seeing what's behind you isn't critical. The OP politely pointed to a situation where it is of use and I agree with that.

- of course a mirror works for more than a few feet behind the rider. You are being obtuse.
When a car is 100' away, there is no reason to think an issue is impending. When a car is 50' away there is no reason to thing an issue is impending. Heck, even 20' away- same thing. If a car hasn't moved over when they are 20' away, that isn't exactly outnof the ordinary and therefore not much cause for concern.
It is only when a car is a few feet away that their not moving over would be a concern...and by then, it's too late.
So really, do you flip out and bail if a car hasn't moved over when they are 50' away? If not, why not? And if not, what distance away from you do you bail?

As for the cost of a Varia, yeah it it costs more than a plastic mirror.