View Single Post
Old 10-31-23, 08:01 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
- Use a Garmin Varia radar with included light. The light patter changes when cars approach, to help them notice you and the radar displays the vehicle on your phone or gps and gives a visual so you can tell how fast the car is approaching, as well as how many are behind you at any given time.

How early should a vehicle move over for you to not be concerned? Not trying to argue, but if it hasnt moved over 100' before passing...then what? Do you bail into the grass along the road? Do you swerve into the road further to be seen? I am unsure why a mirror to confirm a vehicle has moved over is beneficial when many cars dont really move over before probably 30' or so, based on what I see when riding and driving.

Anyways, a couple old guys I know and rode with for years have eyeglass mirrors and love em. Thats probably the way to go since you use bar end shifters.
I don't know what world you live in, but I literally looked in my mirror more than ahead when I commuted. I could see blocks ahead to identify issues coming up but in my world of epidemic reckless driving behind was VERY important. And yes, I have in fact bailed into the grass over the curb. Hell here they'll run into a parked school bus so a bike is nothing. They even have a name for it "The Milwaukee Slide"