View Single Post
Old 11-01-23, 08:09 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Back in the day when a motorcycle was my transportation, the truth of Rick's assertion could not have been more clear. I always assumed that the car waiting at a cross street or pulling out of its driveway did not see me because that was sometimes obviously the case. People's brains are trained to see what they usually see. Some drivers simply do not register a motorcycle or a bicycle.
Which years "back in the day" did this occur? I ask, because I want to look up the years when motor vehicle on motor vehicle crashes did not occur constantly. Because, again, your assumptions notwithstanding, if what you and Rick claim were true, we should find a statistical signature to prove it, and that signature would be a relatively tiny number of crashes between motor vehicles -- because, according to you two, drivers see those vehicles.

That has not yet occurred in recorded history. So, again, your claim simply does not comport with any of the evidence we possess. Unless you (general) can explain why the evidence we have fails to support your claim at all, it's time to stop repeating it.

One of the most important things that I do in traffic is to watch for turn signals on my side, that is to my left in the US.
I do this as well, but given the usage-rate of turn signals, I struggle to agree with the idea that it is "one of the most important things". I watch the front wheel. A motor vehicle can change direction without illuminating a turn signal, but it cannot turn without changing the angle of the front wheels -- so that's your one, completely reliable indicator.

On a sunny day, when you rides into shade you are absolutely invisible to a driver...
That is a ridiculous claim, and not remotely true. Shade is not complete darkness.

I do run blinkies at both ends, I don't care what the law says.
There's a strategy that scales well. Imagine if motor vehicle operators had a similar disrespect for fellow road users. How would you respond to a car driver that says "I run my high-beams all the time, I don't care what the law says"?

Last edited by TC1; 11-01-23 at 08:19 PM.