Old 11-03-23, 11:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5956 Post(s)
Liked 2,862 Times in 1,595 Posts
Part of the problem is that we've evolved a binary approach to law enforcement. There's a potential for severe sentences, but we're not willing to put "nice" people in jail.

As it is we already have one of the highest prison populations percentage wise, and it's obviously not working. It's not only about cases like this, we're losing the battle against lawlessness on all fronts. Staying on topic, let's look at cases like this. There is no personal responsibility. Insurance protects bad drivers from financial responsibility, and we're not willing to actually apply prison sentences, and there's nothing in between.

We need to think hard about alternatives so judges have options they might apply. Maybe 52 weeks of "weekend jail", meaning 2 days per week for some term. Serious community service, meaningful --- painful--- fines, possibly proportional to earning power, "Double or nothing" suspended sentences and parole, whereby a new violation doubles the remaining original sentence. These are just ideas, and probably need more time in the oven, but the point is that we need to start thinking.

But that's only half. We've become a "rights" based society, which is OK as far is it goes. But when is the last time any leader spoke about responsibility. IMO, rights without equal emphasis on responsibility is poison for civil society.

As much as I hate drunk drivers and those who leave accidents, I'm not sure that harsh prison sentences don't cause ripple effects that more than offset any possible deterrent effect. Nor do I want to live in a police state where we're watched full time. I believe that free societies can only work if the vast majority are willing to do what's right, not out of fear of punishment but simply because they're supposed to. Unfortunately, we are not headed in that direction.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: