View Single Post
Old 11-05-23, 04:21 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They are trp hyrd brakes- so cable actuated hydraulic calipers. The hydraulic fluid is contained within the caliper itself and it uses traditional brake cables to compress the fluid which engages the pistons.
I saw the junction too, I'm guessing that is a brake housing split which allows you to adjust the cable tension. Some STI shifters used to have them for shift cables up near the lever. Thars me best guess at least.

Anyways, it's pretty simple to adjust the cable length for these brakes since it is just a traditional cable and housing cut. But a shop could obviously do it too.
I just mentioned taking it to a other shop since the OP's REI store is who set the bike up, looked at the absurd cable length and routing, and tjiught 'nailed it'.
ah yes. A friend of mine has a bike with another brand of cable/hydros--this didn't occur to me with these. Odd to have that housing split there, my friends brakes have a cable adjuster turnee thing right on the caliper, I adjusted it once for her.
So yes, a much easier thing to do than shortening a pure hydro setup.
I still wonder if the housing could simply be pushed towards the front of the bike and will be out of the way easily and not be a problem.

re housing length-I have some Jones H bars that I like using on my commuter and also on my fatbike in winter. When I have the H bars on the fatbike, I usually slap on an old set of mtb bars on my commuter, but as I set the housing length for the Jones bars (quite wide and backswept) , the housings are quite long with the regular mtb bars on, but its not a big deal really. They are out front and not an issue--yes, these are drop bars, but it might be alright with them also as long as the housings naturally stay in the front part.