Old 11-06-23, 04:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I'm not in the mood for unfunny comics that "other" cyclists as if we're a subhuman class and fair game comparable to deer and other roadkill critters.

On my past two rides on very quite, lightly traveled roads, drivers went out of their way to pass within inches of my left side. Absolutely no reason for it. Other drivers had passed safely without that classic Texan passive/aggressive behavior.

On the second incident, the driver was pissed off because I barked "HEY!" and interrupted his smartphone reverie. He had stopped at an intersection at the top of a hill on my usual route. Didn't move for at least a minute as I was approaching. I had a hunch he'd start pulling forward just as I passed. Sure 'nuff, I could see his face buried in his phone. And sure 'nuff, he started inching forward just as I was crossing. I even veered into the opposite lane to avoid him. Young guy, looked like he nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard me.

You'd think that would be the end of it. But no.

That road has two lanes, both one way, with wide shoulders. Left hand entrance to the adjacent highway. I'm in the right shoulder. And he goes out of his way to veered into the shoulder and pass within inches of my left knee, before swerving right to the highway entrance.

I run video every ride now. Have done since 2017. The one time in years I didn't run video in 2018 was the day a driver ran a light and hit me. I'd forgotten to recharge the camera battery and decided to ride without it that day. Ended up costing me a fortune and years of legal delays, because the cop wrote it up as if I were 50% at fault for "failing to evade the oncoming vehicle." A completely bogus concept with no legal bearing. But after three years my attorney said the court of jurisdiction was so unsympathetic to cyclists and pedestrians that there was no point in asking for a trial. The settlement didn't even cover my medical expenses, let alone lost income, damage to the bike and permanent disability.

But even with video of these too-frequent incidents, cops won't do a damned thing unless they actually witness it. And even then they'll side with the offending drivers.

Yeah, Pearls Before Swine is approximately as hilarious as Nazi propaganda was. And I'll spare you the stories of my childhood memories of fellow congregation members in synagogue who had numbers tattooed on their forearms. I had to ask my mom what those numbers meant.
Likes For canklecat: