View Single Post
Old 11-07-23, 08:46 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,887 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
Could you provide some info on which scientific research isn't funded?
Again, you are making an incorrect logical leap. The point raised was that in some cases the questions asked are guided by the funding, which initiates the research. Most funded research, as for example, in various national and international funding agencies (not Nestle or other corporate sources) it works the opposite way. The research questions are posed first and a proposal is submitted. The funding does not determine the questions or the motivations.

I write this, btw, as someone with >30 years experience conducting university research. Mostly my funding comes from that National Science Foundation and NASA. Never has the funding agency influenced the direction of my research or the outcomes. I seek funding for what interests me or what I think is important to my field at a particular time, and the proposals are reviewed not by the agencies, but by my peers - other researchers at universities, federal labs, and similar organizations from other nations. If the questions I want to pursue are not rated well by my peers, I seek funding for other ideas I have. Or I might find other ways, such as internal funding from my university, to pursue them. Or some research can actually be done with no funding at all, if I am creative about how I go about it.

I do not research nutrition, however. It's not my field.

Doubting science because it is "funded", without understanding more deeply what that means and without distinguishing between the different modalities of how research is conducted, how it evolves, and so on, is a formula for comfortable self-enforced ignorance.

Edit: I might add that I also contribute peer reviews to proposals submitted to a very large range of organizations, NSF, NASA, DOE, private US foundations, and the national funding agencies of Britain, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, The European Research Council, Israel, and more that I'm probably forgetting. In all of these cases, the questions and the experimental design come from the PIs (that is, the principal investigators). The funding agency seeks the advice of experts like myself, and decides to award the funding or not based on criteria that have nothing at all to do with seeking a particular outcome for the research.

Last edited by MinnMan; 11-07-23 at 08:52 PM.
Likes For MinnMan: