Old 11-09-23, 05:03 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not know how many times I have started reading a thread where someone wants to buy a folding bike, but late in the post they say they want to spend about half as much as they would expect to spend on a full size bike.

If you want to buy a used Dahon for $600 for a trip that otherwise will cost you many thousands, maybe it will work out ok.
I can see that working out for what the OP proposes. He is talking about going back to Spain and exploring more cities using the high speed train but likes having a bike that can carry his luggage when he gets off the train. Seems like a used dahon could possibly work out well for that.

FWIW, my tours have been on either old or cheap bikes and I haven't regretted my choices. I did the TA and some other tours on a $599 Bikes Direct bike (Windsor touring) and some other tours on my decades old race bikes (Cannondale crit and mtb). I have considered doing something on my old Dahon hopping around on public transit at times somewhat like the OP is thinking of, but probably will never actually do it.

BTW, the idea of a trip costing many thousands kind of boggles my mind. I think I spent $1500 or so on the Trans America in 2007 and that was probably my most bike expensive trip.