Old 11-11-23, 06:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked 5,780 Times in 2,916 Posts
[QUOTE=Alan K;23068695]
Non-profit” hospitals where their CEOs make tens of millions while the nursing and ancillary personnel are under staffed, overworked and stressed, jeopardizing patient care.[/QUOTE]

I do know a fair bit about this variety and had these very people in mind!
And I quite agree that this was a narrow perspective. We do help many of the smaller organizations run by volunteers locally because our own government has dropped the ball.

One of my nieces worked in Washington DC with one those organizations that work with politicians to “influence” changes. After working with them for about 3 years, she was rather disillusioned and felt exploited and quit. But as we know, n=1 is nothing more than hearsay.

I was surprised by dissemination of information based on “facts” in the last few years about many things, including related to Covid by many alphabet soup organizations (NIH, CDC, FDA, WHO etc). All were supposed to be non-partisan… until we learned otherwise.
A few decades ago I used to buy New York Times, Washington Post and read a few more in the library. They were all considered reliable sources of information, until they weren’t. Even NPR, finally proved to be not so un-biased, and I stopped sending them money. I suppose, the general tendency is that if a source of “facts” makes logical sense to us (as in seems in agreement with our notions), it appears more factual.
I’m not sure I’m going to easily trust “facts” supplied to me by left, right, or a non-partisan entity. They are all given a narrative to propagate.In fact, ideally, facts are simply facts, the rest are lies, period.

During the mid-term elections, we went to our public library to cast our votes early, we saw several people bringing in stacks of envelopes individually. That as far as I understand, is quite illegal. Many such observations were made by others in our city. But I imagine all this was deemed as unsubstantiated. We also had several “largely peaceful” demonstrations in our city where a few real and many imaginary shop owners had their businesses destroyed.

We are living in very unusual times. If and when things improve, and I sincerely hope they do, I’ll change my opinion.

Speaking of being allowed to vote.... Time to lock this one up.