SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked 6,636 Times in 3,283 Posts
Originally Posted by AirborneFolder
The theme from those who find his strip unfunny seems to be that he's bigoted against anyone who rides a bike.
Well, he's not funny regardless. But he's also calling for violence against all cyclists:

Originally Posted by gearbasher
He's not merely hiding behind his rat character. In the above, even his pig character that's supposed to be the sweet humanist is supporting this violent view.

I don't know how you can ask an angry driver of a car to distinguish between Jef and anybody else who's on a bicycle.

Over 1,000 cyclists are killed on the road each year. Over 100,000 are injured. It's a vulnerable group when on the road If it weren't, nobody here would give rip about a boring cartoon.

I always believed Jef the Cyclist wasn't everyone on a bike - just that very special breed of arrogant cyclist, usually more of a poseur, always clad head to toe in the latest brands and colors and almost always, no matter where, riding in the middle of the lane just to show people that he (and it's almost always a he) can. Bike path? Not for this guy: he's way too fast for a bike path. If he had only started cycling a couple years earlier he'd be in the Giro don't you know? Bike lane? No way, Jose. Bike lanes have debris. His tires cost more than the tires on your cage. He's taking the center of the road. Move to the right even though there are 4 cars behind him? Not a chance. He's going 23 mph. Yes the speed limit is 30 mph on that road, but that's the limit. 23 is just fine and he pays taxes too. Moving over is for suckers. What else is for suckers? Giving a wave to a car behind him to let them know he knows they are there and he's going to move over when there's a safe spot to do so. He's also the guy who will yell "HELMET!!!!" at anyone not wearing one, just to show he cares. But that's just when riding. Mostly he doesn't ride that far, or even that fast. He rides just far enough in the center of the lane, blocking traffic, to update his Strava or whatever other latest app fad there is, and then goes to the local trendy gathering spot to clickity-clack in his cycling shoes and order whatever is popular and sit, stretched out, bike placed in the way of everyone else (because it costs more than your car you know), so everyone can see him. That is who I always imagined Pastis was making fun of, and rightfully so, because that small percentage of ******-canoe is who ruins it for everyone else on a bike. The fact so many are so terribly offended by a few strips out of literal thousands that deal with this type of cyclist tells me that there may be more of who I described above out there than I had originally imagined there to be.
Where do you live? I never see these people. And I've never met anyone like this. You talk about them like they're prevalent where you live and should be run over.
Likes For SurferRosa: