rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2688 Post(s)
Liked 5,944 Times in 3,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
We got a base model forester with CVT it gets great gas mileage if you drive easy with it but no fun at all. I miss the manual transmission. If I had the money 10-20 years ago I would have bought a bunch of cars with manuals to collect and enjoy. If you ride them like 2-3k miles a year I would have had cars for life and never had to bother with hybrids, CVTs, electric or any of that baloney. Yes electric is like 3x as fast but its just one noted. You can power to 120mph in a straight line instantly but it gets old quick. It has too much torque to start rotating the rear end under power early in a curve so you feel the electronic nanny kickcing in and there's no way you can fully disable the stability control. Not that you'd want to with that much power its like driving on ice and you'd die. Wish I had an unmolested, low mileage Honda S2000 or an 80s/90's european sub 2000lb hot hatch a la Renault Clio Williams or Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI. As Colin Chapman the guy who started Lotus there's that quintessential performance ingredient that is no longer added to cars that improves *ALL* performance elements equally: adding lightness.
All my cars up to my latest had manual transmissions. I still have a ‘71 914 with a 6 cylinder when I feel the need to ‘row through the gears’. Next cars will be electric that we can use to power the house for a couple of days when the power goes out.

Bike related content: I change shifting cables about every 10 years. Pretty much no-wear parts. Brake lever cables do get replaced every two years.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-11-23 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For rsbob: