Old 11-13-23, 11:52 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
I’m getting a new bike soon and debating on electronic or mechanical shifters. Staying with Shimano brand. I’ve read some articles but would like to hear from ppl here. I ride for fun and exercise not competition
I think in 2023 it's worth it unless you are on some hard budget or simply want a pure travel bike. One, going electronic whether it be Shimano or SRAM really cleans up the bike. The bigger pluses of electronic are quicker more reliable shifting that doesn't need constant adjustments. The ability to shift multiple gears instantly is a huge plus. Shimano Di2 in particular is very good at shifting even under load. Unless you are looking at Shimano 105 12 speed mechanical, the really only way to go 12 speed on higher end groupsets is Di2, AXS, or Super Record. The ability to use satellite shifters or even SRAM AXS Pods for flat bars. The apps associated with Di2 and AXS make monitoring your stats or adjusting your bike super easy. For SRAM AXS parts are super easy to install since there are no wires. With both systems you don't have to worry about fraying or damaged cables.

For me Shimano Di2 is great if you are already a Shimano person, want the best battery life, and the best overall shifting and braking. SRAM AXS is great if you want lower price points, more gearing range, the ability to mix and match road/gravel/MTB, want hot swappable batteries, and want the ease of installation.