Old 11-14-23, 10:49 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 881 Posts
(and now, the thrilling conclusion)

Made it to Yarnell, and a nice lunch at the Ranch House Cafe.

Interesting 4-wheeler parked out on the side...

And now, the descent. We weren't worried about getting too much speed with the headwind, but the ripples in the cliffs meant there was quite a bit of variation in the wind, with a lot of side blast on some corners. Still had fun anyway.

About halfway down the hill is the infamous "Elephant Curve" where nearly 100 years ago someone painted an image of a white elephant at the apex of the tightest hairpin curve, and unknown individuals have been keeping it spiffed-up. Leading up to the elephant are a series of reverse curves ending in the aforementioned hairpin, and several unfortunate motorists, motorcyclists, and bicyclists have ended up "kissing the elephant".

Hurtling toward the heffalump

Imagine how much fun this highway was when it was two-way...

Hello, elephant!

After this, a nice coast downhill almost to the finish, and then a short steep climb to the truck which caused my legs to whine "but I thought we were finished working!"

All in all a good day. And what shape am I in? I'll have to say that I did better than last year and should survive El Tour, but Turkey Day is gonna be a challenge. At least I'm forewarned...

And one more stray photo.

Only if it bounces out of our water bottles...

Last edited by RCMoeur; 11-14-23 at 01:01 PM.