View Single Post
Old 11-14-23, 12:43 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I have found a couple of multi-tools which are acceptably light (i.e., ~ 50 g) but they are tiny (~ 2.5" long), so I wonder if that would give me sufficient leverage to overcome the 10-12 Nm installed torque and remove the thru axle.
The solution is really quite simple, all it will take is a single trip to your locally owned bike repair shop.
I’m sure they will not mind if you asked them to try various versions of smaller tools. Once you finish hand tightening the axel, check it with their torque tool to see how close you are. Choose a hand tool that comfortably allows you to the target torque. Just a few attempts will help you develop a very sense about using your new manual tool.

Good luck and as others have already mentioned, start carrying a minimal set of tools necessary to fix small problems on the road, unless you go only as far on your bicycle as you can walk back home with a flat tire… and do not mind doing it.

[It’s been at least a decade since I have had a flat on the road but I know the day I stop carrying a few things to make emergency repairs, is when it will happen again - that’s the thought I go with. 😉]