Thread: Sun sleeves?
View Single Post
Old 11-16-23, 04:06 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I live in rural New England where it can be 90 degrees and 85 percent humidity for much of the summer. I've also toured extensively across the southwest including Death Valley and the rest of the Mojave desert in September when it's still 100+ degrees.

I used tight, white sun blocking arm and leg covers in the desert. I don't remember the brand. I bought them at REI. They're especially good if you get them wet first for evaporative cooling, But then the humidity in the desert is between 3 and 13 percent. They would probably just stay wet and uncomfortable back home with the humidity.

The rule of thumb in the desert is light, loose fitting clothing; basically wearing your own source of shade. In New England,,or in the southeast where you live, I'd try both sun sleeves and light, loose-fitting and see which is less uncomfortable. Both will diminish your body's ability to shed heat through sweating. But both are more comfortable than sunscreen IMO. I hate greasy stuff on my skin.
Likes For Brett A: