View Single Post
Old 11-17-23, 05:44 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 223 Posts
^^Ha! Looks like you got there a little earlier than I did:

I came down on the Narrow Gauge and MM today, taking the car from Chelmsford to the Great Meadows trailhead on Route 4 in Billerica.

This was the third time in as many days I've been out. Wednesday there was only enough time for about 9.5 miles out and back from Chelmsford center to Route 27. I finally put the road bits back on the Van Dessel track bike, but it's still single speed, so hills were to be avoided by driving to the BFRT. It wasn't quite as dark as the photo makes it seem, but dark enough that I didn't realize my finger was in the frame.

Yesterday I had more time and cranked the same setup all the way to Donelan's in Acton and back, 16.8 miles.

Today's rare excursion on the NGRT and MM was a nice change, but seriously marred by witnessing the aftermath of an accident on the MM in Lexington. A woman in her 60s on the ground, flat on her back, face bloodied, head and shoulder injuries, being attended to by her husband (?) and a group of other cyclists. I don't know how it happened. They were in the midst of calling an ambulance, the victim was in pain but alert and stable, so I rode on after briefly asking if they needed anything.

I likewise reached the visitor center at Battle Green, got off the bike (the Lotus today, because of the unpaved parts, it's on 32mm CX tires) and walked around a little. I don't even remember the last time I was there. Construction for a new roundabout at the northern side was well advanced.

I then headed back on the MM and found the scene of the accident cleared. More traffic than I like by now, both on the trail and at the road crossings, including a trio of irresponsible riders on carbon who made me fear for other users, after what I'd seen earlier.

The Narrow Gauge was more pleasant but once past Fawn Lake, that feeling gets more and more replaced with "wonder what's under those leaves?", the layer is thick enough to hide nasty surprises. This was one of the clear-ish stretches that allowed for one-handed picture taking:

I walked for the very last stretch, past the gate. Back on asphalt, I missed my turn off Concord Road, stopped and got off, and even so still had a hard time finding a gap in traffic to reverse direction. Coming back to where I was parked, Route 4 was likewise very busy (and in terrible shape). All in all, I concluded that it's really not worth the trouble, and next time I'll park at Fawn Lake again. About 16 miles today.
Likes For EVlove: