View Single Post
Old 11-18-23, 09:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 864 Posts
Did a little ride with nearly 10,000 of my friends - El Tour de Tucson.

Today, I performed Bike Patrol duties, riding untimed and unplaced while providing mechanical, first aid, and other support to the two-wheel throngs. I was riding my mid-90s Nashbar Flashback cruiser, and a pair of panniers stuffed with medical items, tools, a spare 700C tire, and oodles of tubes. Along with the stereo on the rear rack and the front baskets for dropped bottles and other items. Plus the secret weapon - the Ridekick trailer to help scoot the whole happy mess along.

Old aluminum in front of older aluminum

The clouds made for dramatic scenery amid the rugged mountains- when they weren't drenching us all. But the temps were near 70, so the rain wasn't all bad. The gusting headwinds, though...

Today's tally: helped fix 11 flat tires, cleared 3 water bottles, 5 cones, and a large sign out of the riders' way, replaced a ripped 700C tire, installed a temporary spoke (on a Chicago-forged Varsity), dealt with a dead shifter battery, reinstalled a fancy bottle cage with a zip tie, and cleaned up after a big pack crash where faster and slower riders merged with less-than-optimal results.

Ouch.

And if I'm out there to fix flats, then by golly if I'm going to get a flat myself you bet I'm going big. Went right through the tread, protection layer, cords, Spinskin, both sides of the tube, and partially into the rim tape back out the sidewall near the bead (discovered the second bulge at post-ride inspection).

Meanwhile, my 35-year-old truck was also out on the course as a sag driven by a Rusty Spoke colleague, carrying 3 bikes on the front rack, 5 on the rear rack, and whatever mix of bodies and bikes fits in the middle.

Got in to the finish after a full day with only 55 miles under my wheels, but got a lot done for all those folks riding hard (or not so hard) to raise money for worthy causes.

And then my traditional post-ride celebratory dinner - a big ol' steak and its friends.

Let's do it again next year! After some rest...

Bonus C&V content: I saw several classic bikes mixed in with all the the carbon fiber - the aforementioned Varsity, a couple iridescent Kleins, some first-generation MTBs in near-showroom condition with street tires, and a 60s 3-speed complete with Wald front basket.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 11-19-23 at 08:30 AM.