View Single Post
Old 11-20-23, 04:22 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4500 Post(s)
Liked 4,976 Times in 3,076 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Yup. The Pro was designed to be very realistic in capturing the acceleration component and aero drag component of cycling, and ignored the slope component: for this, it has a big flywheel and a (shrouded) wind turbine, and they work very well, very realistically. That's why they're popular for track athletes, who don't usually worry about slope. Most smart bikes and trainers really really wanted to capture the slope component so they could simulate climbing and they do this with electronically controlled load generators rather than big flywheels and propellers. Flywheels and turbines are a "passive" way to control load, while smart load generators are an "active" way to control load. However, the load generators in smart bikes and trainers don't tend to mimic the change in kinetic energy very well. Different audiences, different purposes, so different designs.

I've occasionally wondered whether the dearth of sprint segments in the original Watopia but lots of climbs had to do with the difficulty in getting the accelerations right.

(Anecdotally, I've heard some recent grumblings about Stages' customer support, both for their cranks and their SB20 smart bike. I have no first hand experience with either).
The Stages SB20 also uses a passive heavy flywheel, which limits its response in slope simulation and ERG mode. But some people like the feel of it and I believe it is popular with Zwift crit racers.

The Wattbike Atom V1 also used a conventional flywheel, but the V2 moved to an active system like Wahoo and Tacx use on their bikes. Although it doesn’t have a motor to simulate descents like the others.

Last edited by PeteHski; 11-20-23 at 04:44 AM.
Likes For PeteHski: