View Single Post
Old 11-20-23, 10:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5043 Post(s)
Liked 8,292 Times in 3,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Bgdv1
Wow, thanks I guess for the help. I'll just keep riding my cheap Talon the way it is. Didn't realize when a new rider was looking for some suggestions this is how it was going to go.
The challenge is that there can be multitude of variables involved with swapping bike parts, mostly to do with how all the parts fit together, and the minor adjustments that make them work properly. Another added challenge is that many parts require specialty tools that tend only to be owned by shops or folks who have been doing the bike thing for a while, and are mechanically inclined. This stuff should be simple, but it's not always.

Larger chainring(s) is an easy solution, but this will require determination if the frame has suitable clearance, and the front derailleur can handle the range. Also the front derailleur will have to be moved, and the cable adjusted to provide proper shifting. A longer chain may also be required.

Another easy option would be a smaller cassette, but this will require a special tool for removal of the old cassette, and installation of the new one. A determination will have to be made on the correct configuration to make sure the new cassette will fit on the existing wheel. Adjustment of the rear derailleur will probably need to be made, and maybe the chain will need to be shortened.

These things aren't difficult for folks with experience and knowledge, but can become quite a can of worms for people just diving in for the first time. That said, diving in is how you get experience.

A now-banned user has made a habit of making a mess of things. HIs removal by the mods is welcomed (IMO).