View Single Post
Old 11-20-23, 11:43 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by purpurite
I wasn't specifically talking about my current project, because I already have decided that it's getting a full repaint and I will do it myself. It is cogent to this discussion, though, because as I was inspecting the bike as it sits, it dawned on me that quite a few people would look at a repaint on this like it was a high crime, and some wouldn't even bat an eye at the thought.

Here's the restore project as it sits now... it's a 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, and as you you can see it's had a hard life. It's not a wash and a quick polish away from being a looker, so it's going to get stripped and refinished to as close to its original state as I can get, other than burying the decals under a clearcoat for protection.
Meh. Your bike, your money, you can do whatever makes you happy regardless of what somebody else feels about it. To me what that bike first needs is a good scrubbing and polishing.

I had my trek 720 powder coated because that bike is first and foremost my touring mule. For all the too many other vintage bikes I have I would have had 0 interest in any of them if they did not have original paint. So, if you would enjoy your bike more all shiny (like me and my touring bike) by all means. But realize that all that expense can actually devaluate the bike in what is an extremely soft market.

Again; on my trek, I could not care less what value somebody cares to prescribe to it, if not like I'll ever sell it so it is all about how I enjoy it.