View Single Post
Old 11-21-23, 10:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18577 Post(s)
Liked 16,044 Times in 7,533 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
Most Amish in my area still refer to non-Amish as "English" and I believe they still conduct church services in German. As far as I know it's only Amish and pre-Vatican II schismatic catholics that don't conduct services in English around here, but there are at least 2 pairs of still-functioning Lutheran churches that the original division was which dialect of Norwegian they held services in.
Interestingly, a good number of PA Amish moved to WI decades ago as land prices as land values (and taxes) started to rise with development in certain areas. I remember reading about it in a Philly newspaper. They could sell gheir land in PA and buy land in WI for much less. There were cases where people boarded tour busses to make their moves.

While still around, some of the traditional Amish areas west of Philadelphia have lost their character. You have to go farther north and west in the state to find more tradition. Last year I was touring across PA. East of State College is the Brush Valley. A one-room schoolhouse (the second one I had seen in the valley) was letting out for the day. Five children in traditional dress pulled out a little a bit in front of me on push scooters. I caught up to them and rode behind them for maybe about 1.5 miles. I looked down and noticed they were all barefoot. One by one they turned off at their respective houses at the east end of the valley, before entering PA forest land. I imagined them all meeting again in the morning to scooter to school. It was one of the most intimate experiences I have ever had riding a bike and embodies what I love about touring.