View Single Post
Old 11-21-23, 11:45 AM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
I hear that there is some, perhaps inevitable, splintering among the Amish. The so-called “High Amish” can now have LED lights on their horse buggies, instead of using a kerosine lantern after dark. Progress…

By the way, Amish do not have churches, so no ”church services”, unless things have changed recently.

I was reading somewhere that although adults do not ride bicycles but the youth may do so. It must be difficult to start enjoying bicycling and then having to give it up. [But then every religion demands discipline and sacrifices.]
Much more complicated than that:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subgroups_of_Amish

I think most of the Amish in my area are Schwartzentruber. They hold home church services every other week.

Originally Posted by Alan K
I understand that the philosophy of living of Amish people is so incredibly different and simple from our contemporary life style, that for the most part, it seems incomprehensible. Their children wear shoes only when it becomes very cold, approaching freezing.
There's good and bad, complicated and simple. Amish are people, if you put them all in any other basket you're wrong. They're right about the shoe thing, though, and it's not just kids.