Old 11-26-23, 10:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,464 Posts
terrymorse Do you strength train to improve cycling endurance? What is your result? There is no right or wrong answer to either question.

I was looking for a more fundamental discussion versus an empirical result concluded from tests. A very basic understanding of the fundamental manner in which we produce energy might be more revealing.

Based upon the studies you posted, it seems like the first coach (discussed in a previous post) that I used who had a cycling gym where I could do 10 sets of 10-15 reps on the pedal stroke using machines followed by immediately riding the bike would have the most benefit. A key exercise in the circuit was the leg press. I had to do ten reps and on the last rep hold the weight for one minute. The coach was there with a watch timing my effort. The first time through the circuit, I did not think I could hold the leg press for a minute. It was brutal. And I had nine circuits to go. You know what, I did it. Some where I found the strength and energy. I did that workout twice per week and worked my way up to 10 sets of 15 reps. And yes, my strength and long term power increased under that program.

Did all the cyclists in the program do the weight circuit? No. Some refused. Why? Unknown. Maybe they read on a forum that strength training was bad. I think they did not want the coach in their face when they were in the circuit. It is a lot different to have someone pushing you and timing you with a stop watch versus in the gym sort of doing what feels right.