Old 11-27-23, 02:43 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
as far as cars go, I'd prefer a hydrogen powered ICE over electric, or at least a small displacement hydrogen ICE hybrid. Toyota is all-in on this technology.

and the deep fenders on that electric cruiser bicycle are gorgeous.
Toyota may be onboard but if you think that all electric is impractical at this point for a variety of reasons (and I happen to agree), hydrogen cell car is unrealistic… just look at the complexity, cost of production, and storage related issues for this technology.

Superficially looking at it, electrolysis seems a clean and straightforward method but it requires a whopping amount of electricity. Where would that electricity come from… I saw a photo of diesel generators powering Tesla chargers in CA, not sure if it was a joke or real thing.

PR hoopla is an integral part of trying to push a new technology but we have to be a little more analytical. I recall from my childhood that atomic reactors for electricity generation were touted to run so cheaply that no one will get an electricity bill because the logistics of billing and receiving payments will be more expensive than the cost of of electricity generation… didn’t really pan out as touted. Then there was period when every company or a large building would have a self-contained very safe thorium reactor- efficient, decentralized, affordable in the long run power source… I’m still waiting! 😉