View Single Post
Old 11-28-23, 05:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 567 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's possible (even if it's unlikely). The problem is that suggesting it's typical.
Yes, I never doubted that it happened. I was kind of shocked by the number though. In addition to my own bikes, I have maintained a bunch of bikes for friends and family over the years. Given that I have been a very active rider over the decades as have some of my family and that I am 72 that amounts to a lot of bikes and a lot of miles. I have never replaced a bent deraileur and have rarely seen even a bent one. The one experience with it was a guy I was travelling with on the Southern Tier who did bend one on a brand new bike and ultimately needed a replacement. He apparently bent it multiple times on the trip. He had all manner of problems with the bike including wheel problems. He had delays at multiple shops while he dealt with getting parts and arguing with the manufacturer over warranty issues. He had a wheel replacement and a hanger replecement covered under warranty, The mechanic at one shop blamed the Bob trailer stressing the rear triangle with all of the issues.

I'd think that supplying an extra hanger with every bike would mean 99.9% would never be needed and many of the ones that would be would be lost long before they were needed. Making the hanger an inexpensive part and making it quickly available when needed is what they should do.

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-28-23 at 05:30 AM.
Likes For staehpj1: