Thread: Udh insight
View Single Post
Old 11-28-23, 08:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I was wondering how the bends occured, but that makes sense. OTOH, that kind of damage really should be pretty rare with care in packing. A carefully packed bike is fairly hard to bend the hanger on without destroying the box.
I remove the rear derailleur when I pack a bike.

I worked in a bike shop during the past millenium, had no clue how bikes are packed by manufacturers these days. That is until 2018 when I opened up my new road bike box, a Ritchey Break Away badged as a Raleigh. Bought it at Amazon so I took it out of the box, not a bike shop mechanic at a shop.

Rear derailleur was attached to frame (steel, no separate hanger). Chain was on biggest sprocket so the derailleur did not stick out more than it needed to. A plastic spacer was attached to the skewer to hold the side of the box away from the derailleur. That spacer made a lot of sense. I can see why derailleur was attached to the frame, everything was in perfect adjustment at the factory and was still in adjustment when I put it all together. (Front derailleur was close but needed a tweak to adjustment.) If derailleur was not attached, it might need an adjustment on assembly, even if it had been adjusted before.