View Single Post
Old 11-29-23, 08:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8330 Post(s)
Liked 9,153 Times in 4,517 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
I really enjoy reading the posts of everyone, including what I might call the "super riders" who work hard to improve their speed and endurance and tell us about it. I was just hoping to encourage some of the other folks who ride in different styles and different places to share with us their styles and places. I hope no one has taken affront at my posting this. I had a bit to do with starting this subforum almost 20 years ago, and I want everyone to enjoy it.
In the past there have been several threads asking about solo riders vs those who ride with others. It always surprised me how many say they ride solo all the time. Like the vast majority of 50+ responders seem to ride alone.

I've been a social rider since the 80s and I joined a large road club in 1989 after riding with a few friends before that. Did more solo rides in the late 90s when I moved out of the area for a few years but I moved back and did club rides at least twice per week from 2001-2019. Covid shut down club schedules for a time and when they restarted things just weren't the same. Smaller turnouts, fewer long time members came back and most of the "B" group riders started doing other things.

There is also the fact that I am unable to ride like I once did. Smaller turnouts mean a core group of faster, mostly younger riders. It stopped being fun and I stopped going very often. I started doing more solo rides than ever before. Not just neighborhood cruises but even longer Saturday rides in the hills. It's easier when I'm not chasing all day but chasing can be fun and I really missed the social aspect of the club.

I started going back for Saturday rides and found some similar speed riders, even thought they're not friends for decades. Some of these rides are pretty fun and old friends show up occasionally. We also formed a Tuesday ride with usually just 4 of us. We chat, stop for long coffee breaks and sometimes go to lunch after the ride.
I also discovered another local club which is very friendly and I ride with them sometimes.

Still, I ride solo more than ever before. It's enjoyable but I'm not ready to give up group rides entirely.
Likes For big john: