View Single Post
Old 11-29-23, 11:39 AM
mramra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My former GP had me read the Omega Diet when I first started seeing him. The book that started the Omega 3 awareness. It talks of the vegetable oils. Very roughly, there are the oils of the common grains that are Omega 6 sources and oils from the dark green veggies and some others like flax seed. And olive oil which has neither but is in many other ways, simply excellent. That author postulated that the optimum blend of human health was 6 parts Omega 6 to one part of Omega 3.

The 6:1 ratio makes it sound like getting enough Omega 3 is a breeze. It isn't. Agriculture has effectively tailored our food to be entirely Omega 6. Putting cows, goats and pigs out to pasture in fields and woods with a lot of the dark stuff isn't efficient. They fatten up far faster eating pure grain. And over-eaten fields have don't have much in the way of dark greens. Things have gotten better. Here in Portland, the stores offer what I call "goat food". Kale, chard, spinach greens, mustard greens ... The veggies that used to be just weeds.

I take a fish oil capsule every night for its 1000mg of Omega 3. Or, it that isn't to be had, flax oil capsules. Use peanut oil only when I need an oil that can handle the hot wok. For everything else, I use olive oil. I do love and consume peanut butter. I have access to freshly made, 100% peanut every Saturday at the farmer's market. A farmer's grand mother makes it. So thick it doesn't spread until it's warm. (Kept refrigerated.) I do a small jar a week.

The pursuit of the Omega 3s seems to work for me. The pasty 20 years I have felt much better than I did the 15 years prior. I've never matched the feeling of my 20s when I was a bike racer, totally in form and ate well, no meat, milk and little white powders. (Salt - very low, sucrose - next to none, little white flour, none bleached ...) Now I have to live with the crash damage I compiled then and later. Blah, blah blah. Aging sucks. But my gut works very well. I feel fully alive and I am interested in nutritious food 'cause it's an interesting topic and I use a lot of online sources to get updated. On eof them is https://ca.papersowl.com/write-my-research-paper because I develop a research paper and need expert opinion to finish my academic study. Life is good.
I think I disagree that the optimal Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio is 6:1. While this ratio may have been appropriate for our ancestors who consumed a diet rich in wild plants and game meat, it's not necessarily suitable for us, modern humans whose diets are heavily skewed toward processed foods and omega-6-rich vegetable oils.

As far as I know, a more balanced ratio of around 2:1 or even 1:1 is closer to ideal for promoting optimal health. This is because omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids play opposing roles in the body's inflammatory response. Omega-6 fatty acids are generally pro-inflammatory, while omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory. When the balance is tipped too far in favor of omega-6, chronic inflammation can develop, increasing the risk of various chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, and autoimmune disorders.

(Yeah, I have some medicine knowledge)

I agree that consuming plenty of dark green leafy vegetables is an excellent way to boost omega-3 intake. However, I would caution against relying solely on plant-based sources of omega-3s, as the conversion of ALA to EPA and DHA is relatively inefficient.
For this reason, I also recommend incorporating fatty fish into your diet. Fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring,... are excellent sources of EPA and DHA. Aim to consume at least two servings of fatty fish per week.

In addition to dietary changes, I really recommend lifestyle factors that will improve your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio: limiting your intake of processed foods, reducing your consumption of omega-6-rich vegetable oils, and increasing your intake of omega-3-rich supplements, such as fish oil or algae oil

By following my recommendations, you can help optimize your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio and potentially reduce your risk of chronic diseases.
Likes For mramra: