Old 11-29-23, 04:49 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you get one of these, make sure that the black rings that thread into the crankset are tight and you may consider using a thread locker to make sure they stay there.

I used those on my heavy touring bike several years ago for a month long tour. I have to remove both crank arms to fit my bike into the S&S case. But one of the black rings self extracted somewhere in the middle of Iceland. When I went to remove both crank arms, discovered one was missing. That meant I had to remove the other one to move to the other side of the crank when I lacked the proper tools to do that. Since then I now carry a real proper crank arm removal instead of the self extracting crank bolts.
Do you mean to tell us that the self extracting bolt self extracted? 😆

To be fair, though, I've heard plenty of stories from folks with HT2 cranks whose non-drive side crank arm simply feel off while pedaling, enduring insufferable embarrassment, cuz the main bolt had unscrewed. Note that unlike pedal threads, the main HT2 crank arm bolt on the non-drive side, is threaded normally, meaning that it unscrews in the same direction as the pedaling motion.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 01-08-24 at 11:46 PM.