View Single Post
Old 11-29-23, 07:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4876 Post(s)
Liked 4,041 Times in 2,620 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Yep. A relatively young science that is notoriously difficult to study and experiment on. The people who are genuinely trying to advance the field, and not just grift off of people looking for a miracle cure, are the first to caution others that we don't really know very much.
Actually there is a line of research on diet that was ongoing for maybe a 1000 years. Not done to the doctrines of modern science and not presented in a form that works in scientific circles. Ayurveda. Part of the triangle of health. Spiritual, diet and lifestyle. I've read a couple of books and made small changes (that have worked out for the better - like warming apples in a saucepan of water before eating; they sit radically better in my stomach). Been told that I really need to study under a master; that it is easy to go astray on one's own (like a lot of stuff). Haven't yet but maybe someday.

Ayurveda came about as the observations of people's diet and health over lifetimes by masters who spent their entire lives studying the same people; an approach we do not have the patience for. I suspect those masters also received "gifts" of knowledge through meditation or other spiritual means (similar to the American Indians). Sources of wisdom completely unacceptable to modern science.