View Single Post
Old 12-01-23, 08:32 AM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
My hybrid (which I use both for shopping and for bad-weather/cold-weather training rides) is set up with fenders, flat bars, and bolted-on aero bars. I find that handlebar arrangement more comfortable and more versatile (and safer in traffic) than drop bars, even though I've been riding bikes with drop bars since the early 1960's.
I understand where you’re coming from and can relate. I have a flat bar setup on my Jamis and I use it for grocery hauling and running errands. The flat bar gives me more control while carrying loads in my Burley Travoy trailer and front basket.

Thats why I think I need to take into account how I’m going to realistically use the Expedition and mount bars that will be most useful to me. I don’t regularly tour and in fact haven’t done one in at least ten years. That doesn’t mean I might not decide to do one in the future and I’d like to setup the Expedition to do both…. haul groceries well and go on a tour if need be. I’m not so sure that a drop bar will be the best option for me considering I’m planning on using the bike as a grocery hauler about 75% of the time. It’s clear that vintage bike fans cringe at the sight of anything other than the appropriate drop bar, but when it comes to a more pragmatic approach I’m more inclined to break tradition and use what is best for my intended purposes.
Likes For boneshaker78: