View Single Post
Old 12-04-23, 02:46 PM
dayco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
This is what I've gleaned...

A more expensive name-brand battery/charger UL-tested is the safest choice. The battery and charger must be compatible and have internal fuses. There must be a battery maintenance system (BMS) that controls/checks the charging and temperature. You should begin charging the battery when it's cool and is down to 20% capacity and should end the charge at about 80% capacity for 5 to 10 charging cycles. The BMS will have a low voltage/high voltage cutoff. After 5-10 charging cycles the battery should be charged to 100% to allow the BMS to balance/equalize the cell rows. If the voltage/current between the cell rows can not be equalized the BMS should disconnect the battery from use.

A properly featured BMS should control the maximum charge and the rate of charge. It should also sense battery temperature. (I may also want to do an occasional touch-test) It is recommended to unplug or use an independent wall timer to disconnect the charger and battery after a fixed period of charging time. Charge only in a fire resistant location while monitoring. Avoid charging in hot or cold temperature extremes.

I will make my selection from batteries and/or sellers that yield this information. Buying or doing anything less will mean a greater battery/charger fire risk.