Old 12-06-23, 05:44 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, that sounds like you have a fixed "preferred torque" level.

I think I gravitate towards a preferred power level, but it's grade dependent. I have no trouble maintaining power uphill, but it takes lots of concentration to keep the same power going on flat terrain. Shifting to a higher gear doesn't seem to make a difference -- the flat road power just doesn't seem to be there. Maybe I'm just "neuro-muscular" adapted to riding uphill.
I'm just the opposite, and it could be due to the different body types we have, as discussed in other threads.

Plus the limitations of gearing with my power output & weight. My cadence is slowed to a crawl when climbing 7%+ - if I'm grinding up a climb at 220w - I may be turning 70 rpm in my easiest gear. That 220w on the flats can be at just about any combo of torque/cadence.

I find that doing a spirited flat ride, I can vary from 200-300w+ at will without any real sense of blowing up. Staying in the lower range with surges into the higher ranges, even much higher ranges - no real issues.

If I try that when climbing, even minor surges, everything goes to crap.

As for preferred cadence ranges - 87 seems to be my average number, regardless of the ride type (except climbing). Intervals are similar to others here - threshold 85-92, VO2 92-100 - peak sprint power comes in at 120.
Likes For Jughed: