View Single Post
Old 12-06-23, 06:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
@Bob Ross, that happened to me twice.

I took an epic walkabout at the age of 20. I left college, my job, my apartment and took my bike to Europe to wander with no itinerary. I started in September. In early December in the south of England, it snowed where it rarely snows. The region was stranded. I decided to go back home to the US. I was in Stratford Upon Avon, Shakespeare's town. I waited a day for things to stabilize. The next day, I rode to Oxford. It was still cold, and there were snow banks on the roadsides. I rode 50 without stopping, and my cold feet were killing me. I double my wool socks which made my shoes too tight and didn't make me warmer. I took the train to London and then had to cross the city on my bike loaded with panniers etc. The streets had not been plowed, and traffic was snarled, and I slipped and slid with my laden bike. A man in a "lorry" ducked his head down to say, "You're mad, you know." Imagine this in a heavy London accent. If I had lifted my head to him, I would have fallen, so I just yelled, "I know."

More recently, NYC had a snowfall so big that the mayor declared an emergency and said no one may drive. Everyone took off from work, so I decided to try my bike with my brand new studded tires. They didn't help at all, because they're ice tires, not snow tires. When I put my foot down on the pedal, I fell over on my side. It didn't hurt because the snow was a big cushion. A man standing outside his workplace smoking a cigarette watched me try foolishly. He didn't speak English, but he had to say something. He yelled, "Bike!" Imagine this in a Chinese accent.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: