Old 12-06-23, 06:58 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 434 Posts
About five years ago, in my early 60s, I realized I was enjoying the climbs more than the descents. A recent change to disc brakes and 28 mm tires helps a little. I'm often the first one up a hill (love that feeling), but the last one down (and I'm fine with that--no competition from me). The other day on Mt Lemmon I was able to keep up with an older, stronger climber for a few miles, because he was even more cautious than I on the descents. (There's a series of rolling hills in the seven miles up to the ski area.)

We talked about the Mt Evans climb in Colorado, and agreed that we're not doing that one anymore unless the pavement above tree line is repaired. That's a horrible descent, especially for a senior.

In my mountaineering days, I tried to keep in mind a common mantra, "Getting up is optional. Getting down is not." And another, "All accidents happen on the descent." I've taken a straw poll of hiking and backcountry skiing accidents, and most happen within a mile of the car. All of mine have. You mind starts to wander toward beer and pizza, the game on TV, etc. If it happens to young people, it's probably worse with old people.

I had a high speed wobble once at Windy Point on Mt Lemmon. Talk about a Code Brown!
Likes For andrewclaus: