Old 12-06-23, 02:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4534 Post(s)
Liked 6,447 Times in 3,708 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
All lthis unicrown talk makes me sad. I have four bikes with unicrowns and three of them are dear to me.
Over time I've come to see classic forks as prettier, but I manage to get over it when riding.

Two are Cannondale tourers, one of the best all-round bikes out there..
One is a Bruce Gordon BLT, another tourer with a lively ride and room for tires.
The fourth is my winter bike, so I try not to love it as it's getting beat on -- a Rockhopper from the early nineties, with fenders and snow tires.
Unicrowns: "strong and functional, hard to see while you're riding."

cheers -mathias
Sorry to make you sad and its not personal, it is what it is.

I don't have to see it while riding, I can feel the dullness when riding one and then have to see it when I get off the bike, double downer for me.

Its also sad that bi-plane, lugged, sculpted, ornate and beautiful crowns were swept away seemingly overnight with the stroke of likely a bean counters pen and the market was immediately flooded with the new "stronger, functional, cheaper" uni's.

Next thing you know, they started to invade road bikes and then even more lugged goodness was being swept away so now you have to pay very dearly for any that is exemplary.

As I stated above, I have some that are fine for what they are and may end up with more, we'll see.
Likes For merziac: