rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 6,036 Times in 3,082 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I see what you mean now. Yes it is always inspirational to see older guys still maintaining a high level of fitness. When I was still in my 20s I remember being impressed by an older ski instructor, who was 49 at the time. I remember thinking that I would be more than happy to be that fit and strong at 49. I’d seen so many other guys let themselves go by that age, so it was great to see that it wasn’t inevitable. It gave me hope that I could stay fit for longer than most people did at the time.

This was about 30 years ago, so now here I am in my mid 50s and I’m still going strong. I can ride and ski pretty much like I could in my 20s. In some ways I actually feel stronger now. I eat better and I train smarter. I wonder if that ski instructor is still going? He must be around 80 now and I see quite a few guys in that age group on the slopes.
I have ‘friends’ on Strava which are in their 40s and it has been very rewarding to hear them say they hope to be as fit as I am when they are my age. Never thought of myself as any kind of roll model. But then there are plenty for more fit and strong than me, but I’m not letting them know that.

Likes For rsbob: