View Single Post
Old 12-11-23, 06:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7135 Post(s)
Liked 11,310 Times in 4,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
So I borrowed a friend's Feedback Sports Pro Mechanic HD stand to see how that compares to the Park 10.3. That thing is a beast, rated for 100lbs max! Guess what though, it's not more stable to a push with the rear wheel off. Maybe less so, no matter how you orient the tripod legs. When you reorient the legs, you are just repositioning the direction vulnerable to a push.And the higher you raise the bike, the easier it is to push the stand over. Even with the rear wheel on, the bike is less stable than the park to a push. The Park, because of the slanted vertical tube, compensates as you raise the bike. The stability to a push remains the same pretty much. Neither tripod resists a push better than my 4-leg $50 Walmart special though! The cheap stand has other issues though. I wouldn't trust a heavy mountain bike or fat bike on it, and certainly not an e-bike.

The way the Feedback clamp tightens up and releases is interesting. It's a little simpler to accomplish, but might not be easier. For instance, the quick release releases, well, quickly! You have to be ready to absorb the weight of the bike immediately. The Park is a two step release, giving you a little time to firm up your grip on the bike before the clamp lets go completely. I think it might be easier to lock the latch quickly on the feedback though. I think either would be acceptably easy, with a little practice.

The tilting mechanism seems smoother on the Feedback. Without a bike mounted, it actually feels less smooth than the park, but with bike mounted, it's quite smooth. The Park tends to grab and stick a little. Depending on the position of the bike, you sometimes have to really clamp it down to stop it from slipping a bit. It seems though that when it does slip, it only slips a bit, but then seems quite firm.

The Feedback is aluminum, and the Park is steel. Both weigh about the same I think. The Park is rated for 80 lbs. The Feedback is 100lb max, but Feedback quotes 75 lbs for the "optimized" weight, whatever that means. The unpainted interior tubes on the Park will tend to rust if you wash your bike with it. The Feedback is aluminum, so no problem there. My plan is to continue using the cheap Walmart steel stand to wash the bike.
I've got that Feedback HD stand, and an older version of the Park two-legged stand. They're about equally stable with my bikes, none of which are more than about 27 lbs. With the three-legged FS stand, the key is to have one leg directly in front of the bike, i.e. positioned so that it extends under the BB -- which puts it exactly where you will be standing while doing many repairs. That's a bummer, but I can work with it.

The FS stand's clamp is indeed an interesting design -- not better than Park's, but different. It sure is convenient if you work on a lot of bikes with different seatpost diameters, as it ratchets down to size (with a quick twist of the knob for final adjustment) pretty much automatically.