Old 12-15-23, 01:33 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,956 Times in 880 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Tonight I went to my co-op to drop off a few items from my work bench. And I took my truck (full size 3/4 ton) and the supervisor asked if I would take the scrap steel bin items. So we put all of it in the bed, and I am always a bit surprised by what makes it into the bin. Two wheels that were quite ok were in the batch. First was an LPS18 rim on a Shimano 7 speed hub that was true. The matching front wheel was damaged so I get that. Second was a gel 330 mounted on a campy hub but was likely tossed because it was a tubular rim. Silly stuff for sure. I will look through the items for a maybe keeper, I loaded a Peugeot F&F that looked like a cyclocross model. A little sunlight should provide what to try and save if anything. Smiles, MH
At Rusty Spoke in Phoenix, due to being overwhel, er, overly blessed with recent donations we've had to be rather ruthless in purging wheels - we're just completely out of space. Last Wednesday we looked at the small mountain of 26" wheels and tossed anything with a broken spoke, bad wobble, notable brake track wear, or otherwise not 100% - ordinarily we might try to fix them, but with so many already-good wheels we have very little room for and limited volunteer staff, we just can't. For example, there's a super-light Zipp 650C tubular front wheel just sitting there - no demand for it here, no bike to put it on or tire to mount on it - its fate looks bleak. I took home a few with nice hubs for later dismantling and salvaging. And this doesn't include the nearly two dozen wheels in my back yard I still need to go through and fix up.
Likes For RCMoeur: