View Single Post
Old 12-17-23, 05:45 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 128 Posts
Hey, how many of you armchair critics and Nostradamus's actually own and run your own successful bike biz ? Have a clue what it's like, all the decisions to be made ? Please link to your website and tell us why you sell what you sell in detail, so the forum can tear apart all your decisions and predict when it will fail.

I'll wait with great anticipation..... teeheeeheee.

And I'll also ask if any of the critics have actually owned, ridden or even seen a Rivendell frame in person ? Do you have any actual experience from which to draw ? Or is this critiquing all theoretical ?

I own a Rivendell frame, a Bombadil which I bought used. I bought it because the dimensions of the frame were perfect for me, as I rarely find stock frames of any kind with long enough front of centers. I had it repainted without decals or head badge. This fall I bought a Velo Orange frame, for the same reasons, it fit my needs, totally practical. The brand names and paint jobs are superfluous, they can be changed, the frame not so easily. Do people buy a Riv for the brand name and image ? Of course, people buy things for brand names all the time for every product sold. How many are reading this on their Iphones ? I hate Apple products, overpriced junk. I've only owned one, and it broke soon after the warranty ran out. Un-repairable they said. Well eff that. Sound familiar ? That Apple name really made a difference in it lasting didn't it ? Ahahahahaha ! Myself I don't care about the name as if it's going to add something that isn't there, it's the quality of it that matters, the usability, practicability. My Bombadil was made by Waterford with Rivendell lugs and spec'd tubing. Some people go googoo over that name. Yeah so what, do their frames suit my purpose or not ? I'd buy a carbon fiber full on Trek road racing bike if it fit into my sensibilities, but it doesn't, so I don't. Would that $13,000 buy me anything above and beyond ? Hah hah. Where's the critiquing of all of that stuff, the imagery used in the adverts so the buyer can live the Trek image. It's hardly unique to Rivendell, it is a business after all, selling their goods. Of course they are going pat themselves on the back.

Last edited by Garthr; 12-17-23 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For Garthr: