View Single Post
Old 12-17-23, 03:48 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Steve Hogg inspired me to try midfoot positioning, with pinned VP Vice flat pedals and trail running shoes(Altra Lone Peak). With my road bikes of course. The cleated soles develop divets where the pins are, so I know where the consistent sweet spot is. The other side I removed the pins, but I find the sweet spot anyways, you just know, they're a bit slippery to lateral movements though. When I started out I was riding 185mm cranks, but it was goofy having my feet so far forward and my feet would overlap too much into the tire. So after 175 and 170 were still too long, I tried a 150, and that was perfect. I had also been reading how some triathletes were riding short cranks, some much shorter than 150, but the 150 was short enough for me to be effective, plus I'm able to buy them from Origin8 and Andel. I don't have short legs or small feet either. Do some research on short cranks if you like. I decided to combine short cranks and mid foot pedaling, perfect ! I have the ease and speed of short cranks, but the leverage and power from the mid foot. Win win. I definitely feel more apart of the bike, able to push harder on the pedals and without undue strain. Oh heck, describing it is futile anyways. It is what it is, like tasting food. No one can tell anyone what it's "like" in words. Just nod, and smile, make funny sounds, close enough